New PC advices.

RayderPSG

Ey guys, 

It's been like +10 years since I don't change my PC, so time's arrived and I should have a new one in 1, 2 months. I'd like to share characteristics, and if you think I should change something...

As fortunately money shouldn t be a problem atm:

-Processor: Intel i7-8700k

-Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X HERO

-RAM: Corsair DDR4 16G 2x8 3000Mhz

-Graph: GTX 1060 6GB

-hdd: WD Black 2TB  Sata 3 (7200 rpm)

-Computer source: Corsair RM850W 80+g

• Like 1

SSD is essential if you want to get any kind of performance out of the rest of the gear on your specs sheet.
Also your MB should have a slot for the even faster SSDs, so it's silly not to take advantage.

Until I upgraded a couple of months ago I was able to run some games on very high specs on a 10-year old PC that officially couldn't run them, simply because I was running an SSD. It makes that much difference.

Can't see any difference in games between 8 and 16 GB so 32 is overkill unless you're using it for productivity as well as gaming.
I use mine for music editing and taking out a RAM block to put in the PC I built for MosesHerodez to play on has screwed up productivity so need to buy another 8gb block.

If you're only gaming, do you even need 8700K? Am running an i5 8400 and performance on the games I play is exceptional, even with an old 970 card. 

TBH you could also even consider a second hand setup with a 2600K for gaming. I have one of those too and performance is excellent even on something like Kingdom Come Deliverance, as long as you don't go beyond 1080.

If you want to optimise for gaming without going too over budget, spend more on graphics card and SSD and less on CPU and RAM.

Edited by Humledrik

Yeah, actually any actual game can be played without problem with 8GB of RAM, so 16GB would be optimal, 32 is way too much, more than half of the memory would always be free, so its not worth it.

SSD for system can make a big difference, use the HDD for programs and users files. Install into SSD any game on which you want to have a perfomance boost, if you just dont mind about it, then install it on HDD. With that kind of computer games will run smooth either way

This might show UK prices, but this is what I use and they're great - http://amzn.eu/3KKIv3e

An SSD will make a big difference in general, but loading times for maps and levels, large open world games etc. will all benefit from running on an SSD.

Just run Windows, plus your games on the SSD and anything like normal files, videos, music you just run on the larger HDD as the speed doesn't matter there.

I went from i4820K 4.7Ghz OC platform from 2013 to 8700K 5.1Ghz OC platform 2months ago. Same Samsung 950 SSD + 2xGTX 1080 in SLI

More improvement in FH2 than expected 🙂 minimum FPS raised ca. 25-30fps and less microstutter

motherboard : Asus ROG Maximus X Apex (because of high quality VRM )

ram : 2x8Gb Gskill F4-3200C14-GTZR (because of easy overclockable Samsung B-die chips with low Cas latency)

PSU : Corsair RM850W

CPU cooler : Corsair H115i pro

pi3vAw8.png

If you want to OC cpu + ram: Make sure to get a nice AIR flow coz 8700K, Ram and gfx gets very hot

I have air intake FANS in front(bottom), Side and Bottom + air Out in : Top, back and in front(top) allmost all conncted to an old NZXT Sentry MESH Fan Controller

• Like 1

Really surprised about the improved frame rates on this set up Spieler. Interesting. Maybe there are other improvements like net connectivity and processing that are helping, which your graphics cards have little impact on.

I went from an old Quad Q6600 with an AMD 7850 to an overclocked 2600K with a 970 to my current setup of i5 8400/970 and gameplay wise I'm not really seeing any difference in FH2 - but then I haven't upgraded my screen years and never bothered looking at frame rates as game always worked…. This will be my first campaign with a reasonably modern setup. Last campaign was with the 2600K/970 setup but turns out motherboard was faulty.

But if you're seeing differences like this it might explain some of the weird stuff that always happens to me when I'm playing - missing when you know you didn't etc.

Edited by Humledrik

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, 

First of all, thank you all for your advices. I've heard some of them , after discussing with my brother and with the salesman here's the result:

-Processor: Intel i7-8700k 4.70GHz

-Refreshing: COrsair Cooling Hydro H110i

-Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X HERO z370

-SDD: Samsung 970 M.2 NMVe 250 GB

-HDD: 2TB WD Blue SA3/65MB 5400RPm

-Computer source: Corsair RM750W 80+g

Graphic card: GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GB

What do you guys think? 

• Like 1

On 7/9/2018 at 6:30 PM, RayderPSG said:

Nop

Even if money is not an issue, are you sure you need a 8700K ? As said above,  an i5 8400 or a r5 2600(X) would be very great. In addition, if you "just" take a 1060 with it, you will see almost 0 differences with a less powerfull cpu than 8700K. 6 cores should be ok for long time now, personnaly i would go for a r5 2600. For 60hz it's perfect, as the 8400, but as both are at the same price and the amd one as more thread, i would go for 2600. Same for NMVe, is tthe invesment worth than a sata ssd for your utilisation? 

On 7/9/2018 at 6:30 PM, RayderPSG said:

Hi guys, 

First of all, thank you all for your advices. I've heard some of them , after discussing with my brother and with the salesman here's the result:

-Processor: Intel i7-8700k 4.70GHz

-Refreshing: COrsair Cooling Hydro H110i

-Motherboard: Asus ROG Maximus X HERO z370

-SDD: Samsung 970 M.2 NMVe 250 GB

-Computer source: Corsair RM750W 80+g

Graphic card: GEFORCE GTX 1060 6GB

What do you guys think? 

Sweet 🙂

If you have allready a gfx card I would try using that before buying a new gtx 1060. Afaik Nvidia is rumored to release new gpu very soon -> prices may drop a little 

Corsair water cooling may not last forever. If you are unlucky like Me, prepare money to buy a new within 4-5 years if or when the pump fails 

On that mobo get another ssd later to get 512gb in a Raid 0 config

I would choose a HDD with 7200rpm

But this is on a system with the very best GPU available, not the ones Rayder is considering which will have the FPS bottleneck at the GPU.
Will also depend on what games you are playing (as shown in that video where the last 3 games have identical performance with the 8400)how they are optimised for multi-core.
And the OTHER thing that was announced the other day was that Z370 platform will take the upcoming 8 core CPUs... so if you just buy the cheap one you can upgrade to the even better CPUs later on without having to upgrade anything else.

All worth considering.

I also noticed I got a lot better at FH2 when I bought a bigger 4k screen last month after this thread was started!

Edited by Humledrik

• 2 weeks later...