Johonas

there currently is little discount event going on:
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link//16263-Discount-Starters-Anniversary-Special-Sale

You can buy a special starter kit for Star Citizen. You can choose between the basic versions of the starter ships (Aurora and Mustang). Its about 10 dollars cheaper than the usual but its also a different package. For example, in the normal package you also can ge the Singleplayer "Squadron 42" as option and surcharge of 15$, that option is not available for the special package. You also dont get 1000 UEC (ingame currency) for the start, but get a 60 Month Insurance for your ship instead of a 3 month one at the normal starter package. As much as i first wanted the singleplayer part, i wondered why and thought, screw it,  and bought the special package, and you get 5000 UEC anyway when you paste a referral code. :D

oh and i got the Mustang Alpha. Basic ship. Since its the "Alpha" version, it doesnt come with a fancy modular living quarter container in the back, sad.

Edited by Hawk

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, DanielNL said:

I'm sure they will add in a loading screen for the Universe soon enough, probably just in a rush to get 3.0 out and didn't have one set up or it's bugged. This is the issue already posted and you just need to contribute to this, rather than making your own - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha-3/STARC-46193-Long_black_screen_loading_after_selecting_Crusader

The loading times, well, you need to get this game on an SSD to load in with some decent speed. Even on my SSD it will still take 20 - 30 seconds to load in and you will see some stuttering in game.

I already have 3x 240 GB SSDs all stuffed with games... -.- (1st SSD: ArmA3+many Steam Workshop files+UnrealEngine4 Squad SDK already together 210GB, 2nd SSD: 2x DCS installations (release+beta) + BF4 + PR + Dead by Daylight + Rocket League all together 187 GB, with many other files already 222 GB used of 223 GB. 3rd SSD: BF1, TotalWar Arena, 6 Steam games, Shadowplay recordings, all together 204 GB, currently only 16,6 GB free on that SSD which I need for Shadowplay... so...)

I could move the Squad SDK to my external USB 3.0 drive so as soon as Star Citizen get's the I/O issues fixed (currently even in the spawn room the game for whatever reasons needs to write on my HDD, which totally makes no sense imo and write-cycles only drastically decrease SSD lifetime...)

Edited by DanielNL

@DanielNL in an alpha they won't be focused so much on getting the optimisation in there as much as they will be wanting to get the game mechanics in place first.

Case in point being the big ships like the Starfarer and Caterpillar. They now realise that getting these ships into the game is a big performance hit, so if they had spent lots of time optimising the game before adding in the Starfarer and Caterpillar it would have been wasted because a whole load of issues have shown up with larger ships, planet tech and cargo now added into the mix. Are they looking into it? Sure. Read a good explanation from Chris Roberts himself at https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/1/thread/star-citizen-alpha-3-0-performance-tidbits/

The biggest reason for the FPS hits is due to the servers and game sending a lot of data to each PC on what every ships component, piece of cargo and other items are doing in-game. That's a lot of data! Which is why CPU's and RAM are being hit the hardest at the moment (I'm seeing up to 18Gb of RAM being used in a session). The plan is to simplify this data (object culling) so that only a basic ID and status for each object is sent to the client PC and they'll only load in the actual object when there is a chance the player will get near to it.

We have solutions for all these things, including moving physics to a batch updating model from an asynchronous one which will allow us to scale the physics much better (currently we are limited to only four threads for physics regardless of the cores on a client or server), level of detail updates for objects on the client from the server (don't update or update less frequently when far away, unbind an object from the network if far away from the client's view), Object Container streaming (whole areas of the game are only streamed in when needed on the client, allowing for dramatically less objects on clients) and they are in various stages of progress but they are not something we can complete in a week or two.

Are they going to fix this anytime soon? No. They are pushing for quarterly updates, so don't expect anything until at least March except minor bug fixes (courier missions and so on).

Switching to an SSD will make a difference, as will making sure you have a healthy sized Page File set up if your RAM gets completely used up. Uninstall some games if you don't play them all. Star Citizen is only around 40Gb.

Just have a read of this and be patient for updates coming in March:

We plan on delivering new builds once a quarter, starting with our first drop at the end of March. After that, we aim to deliver again at the end of June, September, and December of this year.

Our first release will pull together all the great work that was completed last year with a focus on optimizing the server and client. We also intend to include one or two new features which will enhance gameplay around Crusader.

3.1 is about enhancing performance and polishing the gameplay systems and UI, including ships, system traversal, a large balance pass of our economy, and improving AI for spaceflight and combat. All the great data and feedback from the community over the holiday period is really going to help us with these tasks.

Although 3.1 is our focus for late March, several teams will also be working on our long-term goals for this year, in which we plan to deliver the vast majority of systems and mechanics so players have a variety of options to lose themselves in the ‘Verse.

For our end-of-June release, we plan to implement the initial tier 0 versions of mining, salvaging, mobile refueling, and repair into the game, as well as give the player the ability to create their own missions like hiring mercs, transport, or refueling missions. On the AI side, we plan to improve both ship and FPS AI for both missions as well as general activity on space and planetary bases.

Our next delivery in late September will introduce another major long-term tech goal: Object Container Streaming. This technology will allow us to start expanding the Stanton system with additional destinations, while managing our memory usage much better. In this delivery, we would also like to start introducing the mechanics of how you stake and file land claims and the gameplay that comes with this feature. This release will also continue to consolidate and polish all the new features in the past milestone.

That will leave our final build of the year in late December. Now that our streaming tech has been tested and can support the huge amount of new data content introduced, we will continue to expand the Stanton System, allowing players to explore, fulfill their career choices, and do many different types of missions, either with friends or on their own.

4 hours ago, DanielNL said:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/community/issue-council/star-citizen-alpha-3/STARC-51690-Player_will_get_stuck_between_landing_pads_on_Kareah

please click "able to reproduce" guys, to give it some attention (I even attached video of it there)

That's not how it works Daniel. You only click on 'Able To Reproduce' if you can reproduce it. Don't encourage others to file false reports if they cannot or have not tried to reproduce it.

Not really @DanielNL, because what you have shown in the video is very specific. Yes it's a collision issue, but this isn't a 'go near a landing pad in EVA and you get stuck and die', you wedged yourself between a railing and a wall and it caused a collision issue.

People need to be able to replicate the exact issue and see if it also glitches for them. It needs testing before saying they can replicate it, it's what a good QA tester does.

On 1/12/2018 at 5:22 PM, Quicksilver said:

it's what a good QA tester does.

Of which it seems CIG has way too few of... (Otherwise they'd already fixed this bug)

Also I'm getting tired of the ship not spawning bug... (get killed, try to spawn new ship, after 5 minutes are over ship not spawning, cannot access console anymore... happening to me with Mustang Delta many times). And the the Star Citizen.exe freezes... You guys have this bug too with other ships?

Edited by DanielNL

I'm thinking that they need to be unlocked by the ship owner / pilot as they have worked in the past but I can't remember if I had to unlock things first (same with doors and so on). Will have to test.

It could be a bug of course, but I used them myself in 3.0

I haven't ever seen my Freelancer or other Freelancers spawn with a missing wing, but there are reports and screenshots showing people's Freelancers with heavy damage for some players, but not everyone.

• Like 1