Hardware

Druidix

Hi guys, 

I propose you to speak about hardware here, like there are no other threads about it (but also cause i got a question :p) 
So I will start. I want to upgrade my 660 with a R9 380 (the upgrade will coast me around 50e). My psu is a Antec ea500-D. I've check with PSU calculators, and the biggest power needed i have is 389W. 
Do you think I can keep my psu (I don't want change it ^^)? 
For the moment I have: 

i5 6500 
B150 mate mobo
8go Ram 
MSI 660 oc
1x HDD 
2x 120mm fans 

Thx

Most likely? I mean, I'm currently running

2x GTX 760 cards in SLI

1x SSD

4x HDDs

16gb Kingston HyperX 1600mhz RAM

Quad core AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition (can't be arsed to check the model...)

A ton of fans and cold cathode illumination

My PSU is a Corsair HX 620W (Modular)and I have no power issues with my current setup, so I'd imagine yours is OK.

Enjoy your upgrade!

• Like 1

To what kind of showcase thread this turned into? :D

The biggest trouble with old psu's is that they were not designed for the power hungry cards of last few years, and so only supplied somewhere around 150 watts for the gpu. I checked that one out and it should do fine in that regards but you will be kind of on the edge. That R9 380 is not the worst of its class but does consume way more power than for example GTX 1070, that is somewhere along the lines of double as good performance wise. 

Myself, am quite on the same line as Erwin, got my i7 running at 4,7Ghz, and 28" Samsung 4k monitor

I've played one hour bf1, with HWinfo64 open, seems ok no? https://www.noelshack.com/2017-18-1493632101-resultat-alim.png
If i had the money i will have take a 1070, even a 470 should be ok for me, but i don't have money so problem solved :P I think the 380 is a very good deal for the price. 
in fact my 660 was ok until i change for 1080p monitor, i will have keep it 2 years. I'm not hardcore player, i play only bf1, fh2, motogp games and some old games, so i don't need a lot of power (except for bf1 one, but medium is ok for me, low is so ugly :/). More than that, until game will be released on ps4/xo, 380 should be able to do good work. 
Btw, can you explain me why the 4 cores seems to boost in same time (for exemple, at the moment the 4 are @3588 Mhz). Boost should be only on one core. 

Edited by Druidix

1 hour ago, kummitus said:

The biggest trouble with old psu's is that they were not designed for the power hungry cards of last few years, and so only supplied somewhere around 150 watts for the gpu.

Not quite. It's not about the theoretical power draw itself. What matters is the technology inside the psu. Modern psu's should come with dc/dc circuits, separating +12V from +5V and +3,3V leading to higher efficiency and stability. The latest gpu's since nvidia maxwell and newer switch their clockspeeds quickly on the important +12V rail for power saving issues. With dc/dc (= indepedent regulation) you won't see any troubles. Older units as the ea500-D however will most likely switch +5V and +3,3V as well, possibly causing damage on your ram/ssd/hdd. Believe me, you don't want that. Avoid it with an up to date psu. ;)

Apart from this should a 6+ year old medium class psu's replaced for modern hardware. Not only will the overall system efficiency be raised, you also gain safety for your beloved stuff. Remember, everything in your pc runs from that psu.

Edited by Klimax

On 4/30/2017 at 1:58 PM, Druidix said:

Hi guys, 

I propose you to speak about hardware here, like there are no other threads about it (but also cause i got a question :p) 
So I will start. I want to upgrade my 660 with a R9 380 (the upgrade will coast me around 50e). My psu is a Antec ea500-D. I've check with PSU calculators, and the biggest power needed i have is 389W. 
Do you think I can keep my psu (I don't want change it ^^)? 
For the moment I have: 

i5 6500 
B150 mate mobo
8go Ram 
MSI 660 oc
1x HDD 
2x 120mm fans 

Thx

Allways go a little biggeer :-)

I fried 2 corsair psu sincee 2013..heh

Edited by Spieler4

Can't believe it ! 
I've just uninstalled Gefore experience (i don't use it, i've not even account on), and now bf1 works with medium settings and TAA better than before in low settings without AA xD
I will try to uninstalle the driver with DDU and reinstalle it proprely, but if it stays as that i will not change de card until a good price on 470/480/1060