Installation of Bf2 and FH2 on Windows 10?

ColonelDeepthroat

Question

Hi.

I installed some new hardware (mainboard and CPU). After that (surprise, surprise) my Windows 7 64-bit Pro didn't start anymore which is pretty common when making major hardware changes.

I've installed Windows 10 Pro 64-bit now and have the old system and all the files (BF2 and FH2) on the other harddrive.

But now I need to re-install everything, including BF2 and FH2.

Does this work easily? Does anybody have some tips how to make this smoothly? I would also like to use my configuration files from Fh2/BF2. I should still have the original BF2 DVD/CD.

Thanks and happy holidays.

16 answers to this question

Type "regedit" in your cmd window

Location -> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\ea games\battlefield 2

everything after "WOW6432Node" wont be there for you so you need to create it by rightlicking and "Create new Key" ( Keys are "Folders")

inside the "Battlefield 2" Key (Folder) you Need to rightclick and create new "String Value"

You Need these two "String Values"   the rest will be created automatically!

• installdir           (Root Location from your BF2 Folder)
  • ergc                  (Your CD-Key  Format WIHTOUT  "-")

bf2reg.JPG

Edited by Grabfunzel

3 hours ago, Grabfunzel said:

Type "regedit" in your cmd window

Location -> Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Electronic Arts\ea games\battlefield 2

everything after "WOW6432Node" wont be there for you so you need to create it by rightlicking and "Create new Key" ( Keys are "Folders")

inside the "Battlefield 2" Key (Folder) you Need to rightclick and create new "String Value"

You Need these two "String Values"   the rest will be created automatically!

• installdir           (Root Location from your BF2 Folder)
  • ergc                  (Your CD-Key  Format WIHTOUT  "-")

bf2reg.JPG

Thanks for your replies guys.

@Grabfunzel: So I need to re-install BF2 though? Now I have a completely new Win10 and the old Win7 isn't working anymore and on another harddrive. So I don't have the registry entry yet.

Thanks. It actually worked, I tried Singleplayer.

I just realized though that the old bf2 folder is on the old win7 harddrive which I intend to format (has some "bad sectors") in the near future. So I have to re-install it anyway.

Or could it actually work to move the oldf bf2 installation to the new hard drive and update the registry?

Here's an interesting one... I have 2 BF2 discs but lost the key for one of them. As we're going to be playing 2 players next campaign, I thought I would have to get hold of another key. But it turns out the insert key in registry in unencrypted version registers as a different key so we can play 2 on servers using effectively the same key. I tested it on public and it works. Using the same standard encrypted registry key only allowed one online at a time last time I tried this a couple of years ago. Anyone know what's changed or why this is now possible? Was all set to buy another copy second hand just for the extra key....

Edited by Humledrik