Technical help needed

Wualy

Hi guys, I´m having problems with my laptop, specially, with my screen. I had in the past and seemed to be fixed, but they are back again.

My screen is flashing or flickering from time to time, and giving me a black screen from several seconds. (sounds works well). Just when flickering, I connected by hdmi a second monitor and this one worked smoothly but still laptop screen was flickering for a while. This happens in very different situations: Sometimes simply with firefox opened and watching videos in Youtube, sometimes playing a video game in local mode, and sometimes only with desktop. But, surprisingly, repeating those same situations, doesn´t repeat the issue... It´s extremely aleatory.

I installed 3D Benchmark to make some stress tests to my hardware, and all tests supported (only three) were passed succesfully over 97% and with no screen issues.

All drivers are updated to latest versions (Intel Graphics 3000HD and NVIDIA GT 555N, CUDA version).

Any idea, suggestion or recommendation?

PS: My OS is Windows 10.

Edited by Wualy

Hola wualy! como estas? para mi, por lo que cuentas es un problema del flex de la notebook, es bastante común que pase eso en las notebooks cuando ya tienen un tiempo considerable de uso.

El flex es un cable plano que conecta la parte de abajo del ordenador a la pantalla y de tanto abrir y cerrar la tapa suele joderse algun que otro cablecito y cuando esta en determinada posición anda y otras no. Osea que el problema no debe ser de software sino del hardware (si es el problema del flex como digo). 

Lo que deberías hacer es llevarla a una casa de computación y explicarle el problema. Pero para mi es eso, porque explica lo del parpadeo, lo de que con el hdmi funciona bien, y que sucede aleatoriamene. 

No creo que te cobren muy caro por arreglar un flex. Saludos y suerte con la notebook

:drinkingcheers:

• Like 1

No me preocupa si el problema es del flex, porque yo mismo puedo cambiarlo (de hecho, ya he desmontado el portátil varias veces por otras cosas). EN una ocasión anetrior, que también me dio estos problemas, lo llevé a arreglar y me lo devolvieron sin hacerle nada porque al servico técnico no les falló. Fíjate hasta qué punto es aleatorio...

Sorry to answer in Spanish to @mcpollo but he doesn´t know very well English ;)

To me it seems like this is a hardware issue, possibly a loose connection on the motherboard for the screen?

I can't see it being graphics card drivers as you don't see things like flickering usually and it would also affect the external monitor you plugged in, so I'm guessing on a hardware connection or a fault with the screen.

Is the laptop still within it's warranty @Wualy? Can you get it replaced?

• Like 2

Thanks for your replay @Quicksilver. I'm agree with you about graphic card as every test made to it was passed succesfully. And it doesn't seem to be motherboard related.

This laptop have five years old so, no, it's not under warranty and I need to fix it by myself. Yesterday I opened and saw that flex cable which connect mainboard with screen was bad placed, too close to the fan, but doesn't seem to be broken. Probably this can be the problem so I'll replace it to a better position and will made more tests to check if flickering is still there or not. If it is, I'll replace it.

Fortunately, laptop is not too much old, so still I can find some parts for it by a reasonable prize.

On 24/9/2017 at 2:39 PM, Ensign_Steel said:

Did you install the Intel HD graphics drivers before you installed the nVidia drivers? It's a long shot, but I've solved issues like these on some Dell machines just by doing that.

Didn´t thought about that, really... Anyway, Intel doesn´t provide updates for its drivers long time ago while NVIDA keeps my graphic card still updated (will see how much time more). Thanks for your reply!

UPDATE: I was able to place the flex cable in a better position (with less tension) and I hope this will help in solving the issue. Surely checking this will require some time but, until now, seems that is working fine.

.Does it only happend with 2 screens running at same time ?

.Try to run with no battery in laptop

.What are the temps of cpu and gpu when flickering ?   

.Make sure laptop is not trying to save power. Set every thing in power profile and gfx driver settings to max performance. And maybe try different res and Hz in gfx settings

I some how want to be religious and blame windows 10 as I turned back to 7 again. Windows 7 is light years faster when alt+tabbing or when making a change in nvidia gfx settings 

• Thanks 1